STAY IN THE LOOP!
On this page, you may read the latest VQM updates, our monthly newsletter, and sign up to join our email list.
Mandatory Training Days
Current and New Volunteers
Please attend one of these dates offered:
Saturday Oct. 13th from 3:00pm – 6:00pm
- or -
Monday Oct. 22nd 10:30am – 2:30pm
*Monday will have a lunch break from 12:30-1:30pm.
*Lunch will not be provided, please bring your own.
Please follow up with us by
Wednesday Oct. 10th
via email at:
as to which training session you will be attending
Please consider inviting a friend to volunteer with you!
Thank you for your hard work & dedication.
Don’t miss our annual online auction!
Bidding will begin at 8:00 am EDT on Sunday, October 7 and will
conclude at 10:00 pm EDT on Sunday, October 21.
VQM IS HIRING!
Virginia Quilt Museum Bookkeeper Job Description
Position Title: Bookkeeper
Job brief: The Virginia Quilt Museum Bookkeeper is a part-time staff position. The Bookkeeper’s primary duty is to record all financial transactions, including donations, purchases, gift shop sales, receipts and payments. The bookkeeper will post information to accounting journals/software and reconcile accounts to ensure their accuracy. The Bookkeeper’s secondary duty is to maintain the Museum’s Development (membership and donor records) and related correspondence.
Basic Function: The bookkeeper position creates financial transactions and creates financial reports. The creation of financial transactions includes posting information to accounting journals or accounting software from such source documents as, cash receipts, and vendor invoices.
Key Relationships: The bookkeeper’s primary relationships are with the Executive Director and the Treasurer of the Board of Directors. Secondary relationships include contracted accounting and payroll firms, vendors, and the Finance and Budget Committee.
Position Pay and Schedule: This part-time position averages 10-12 hours per week with an hourly rate to be decided upon based on experience. Flexible scheduling and evening work is permitted as long as at least 4 hours a week are completed during business hours when the Executive Director is present. The Bookkeeper is required to attend at least one staff meeting a month.
Principal Bookkeeping Accountabilities:
1. Pay vendor invoices in a timely manner
2. Collect sales taxes from customers and remit them quarterly to Virginia Tax Department
3. Ensure that any receivables are collected promptly
4. Record cash receipts
5. Conduct reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy
6. Maintain the petty cash fund
7. Provide requested information to the external Treasurer/Accountant who creates the organization’s financial statements in a timely matter
8. Assist Director and Treasurer in assembling all information for Form 990 income tax reporting
9. Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
10. Maintain the chart of accounts
11. Balance PayPal account 2x/monthly
12. Work with management and the Museum’s Finance Committee in reviewing the annual budget
13. Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
14. Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements
15. Work with external payroll service to post payroll spending in a timely manner
16. Provide clerical and administrative support to management
17. Tag and monitor fixed assets
Principal Development Accountabilities:
1. Maintain updated and accurate Membership spreadsheet and records
2. Send out monthly membership renewal reminder letters and emails
3. Send out thank you letters and member cards to all joining and renewing members
4. Respond to member inquiries regarding membership
5. Provide reporting information related to membership numbers
1. Proven non-profit bookkeeping experience.
2. Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting payable/receivable principles.
3. Proven ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records.
4. Data entry skills along with a knack for numbers.
5. Hands-on experience and strong understanding of Quickbooks software Proficiency in English and in MS Office Suite Customer service orientation and communication skills.
6. High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
7. Minimum of an Associate’s Degree is required.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com by September 18, 2018.
MAY 2018: NEWS AND NOTES
JUNE 2018: NEWS AND NOTES
JULY 2018: NEWS AND NOTES
GRANTS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
We would like to take a moment to announce some of the grants and achievements that the Virginia Quilt Museum has had recently.
The Museum is pleased to have received a grant from the Arts Council of the Valley to promote First Fridays visitation and correlate activities with the exhibits! The First Fridays events are "Where Art Meets History and Science." The featured exhibits are Fly Me to the Moon and Beyond the Valley (based on the Valley Botanical)! Visit the Museum on the first Friday of each month from June through October and participate in the family activities from 5-8PM for free!
We would also like to thank the Baltimore Applique Society for their generous grant to help our conservation efforts to preserve the Eagles of Peace Quilt and the Margaret Etheridge Quilt!