The Virginia Quilt Museum (VQM) Board of Directors is seeking a full time Executive Director to manage the “Official Quilt Museum of the Commonwealth of Virginia”. VQM is a 501(c) 3 Public Charity and its mission is to celebrate and nurture Virginia’s quilting heritage, through education, exhibits, classes, conservation, historical preservation documentation and serving as a repository for quilts and any and all services that the Board of Directors sees fit. The Museum Director will be responsible for all aspects of museum operation, including: 1) resource development through grant writing, annual fund promotion and other philanthropic development activities; 2) promotion of the museum to diverse local, state-wide and national audiences through marketing, membership, special events, publications, social media and other outreach activities; 3) fiscal management, including proper accounting, tax filings, bank transactions, and related duties; and 4) daily operations of the museum to ensure proper maintenance of the facility and service to patrons.
To apply, or for more information about this career opportunity, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline - Tuesday March 17, 2015.
Museum Executive Director - Job Description Summary of Responsibilities:
* Develops resources through grant writing, annual fund promotion and other philanthropic development activities, including building relationships with foundations, corporations, and individual donors.
* Promotes the museum to diverse local, regional and national audiences through marketing, membership, special events, publications, social media and other outreach activities.
* Manages fiscal responsibilities, including proper accounting, tax filings, bank transactions, and related duties.
* Develops exhibits and educational programming.
* Oversees daily operations of the museum to ensure proper maintenance of the facility and service to patrons.
* Works in conjunction with the Board to develop the strategic direction and establish initiatives to fulfill the mission of the museum and increase local, state-wide, national and international awareness and prominence.
* Manages and leads staff, which may include interns, and volunteers.
* Serves as spokesperson and chief advocate for the Museum.
* Enhances the Museum’s public image to expand interest and support.
* Directs the overall marketing initiatives.
* Manages, secures and maintains the property and facilities of the Museum. Preferred Qualifications: Minimum education requires a Bachelor’s degree.
* Experience developing and implementing fund-raising campaigns.
* Ability to provide strong leadership, vision and strategic direction.
* Knowledge of standards and best practices for museums, non-profits or similar organizations.
* Demonstrated excellence in writing and public speaking.
* Proven ability to work cooperatively, diplomatically, and effectively with Boards, volunteers, and in community relations and outreach capacities.
* Demonstrated ability to supervise, as well as to work successfully with, museum staff, volunteers, and diverse public constituencies.
* Evidence of success in developing, managing, and growing an annual operating budget.
* Strong business management skills.
* Excellent planning, time management and decision-making skills.
* Knowledge of the principles and practices of quilting .
* Working knowledge of QuickBooks, Microsoft Office, web site development and social media.
* Willingness to work a variable schedule, including weekends and evenings when needed. * Willingness to travel, occasionally during non-business hours. Salary is commensurate with experience.
VQM is an equal opportunity employer.
Nestled in the picturesque Shenandoah Valley, the Museum is the perfect blend of art, heritage, and the social culture of Virginia. Dedicated to preserving, celebrating, and nurturing Virginia's quilting heritage, the Museum, established in 1995, features a permanent collection of nearly 300 quilts, a Civil War Gallery, antique and toy sewing machines, and rotating exhibits from across the United States.
Museum Shop is a unique experience all its own where a variety of artwork by Shenandoah Valley and other Virginia artists may be found. The Museum Shop also has a wide array of special gifts
for quilters and non-quilters alike. Visiting the Museum Shop is free and a delightful place to shop for gifts for any occassion.
Individuals, families, and groups are welcome to explore
the Museum’s exhibits on
self-guided tours and encouraged to spend as long as they wish discovering the beauty, history, and heritage of Virginia’s quilts.
Special guided group tours can be arranged for adults and children. Prescheduled groups of 10 or more qualify for a discounted admission rate. Hands-on projects are also available for school and adult tours.
Tuesday - Saturday
10:00 - 4:00
Virginia Quilt Museum
301 South Main Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
$20 For 20 Years
Exhibitis Opening February 3rd
Jinny Beyer's Simple Stitches, Exquisite Quilts
Treasures of the Vault: The Stornetta Legacy
Tales of the Mayan Huipil: Art Quilts Inspired by Guatamalan Weavings
Sunday, March 1st
Special Program presented by Jinny Beyer - Reserve Your Seat
Meet The Artists Reception - RSVP
For more information on upcoming events at the Virginia Quilt Museum, please click here.
2015 Raffle Quilt
“Civil War Tribute,” made by the Cabin Branch Quilters
Pattern by Homestead Hearth
Click here for more information and to buy your tickets.