Arts and the Parks - Call for Artists
The Virginia Quilt Museum is an art museum located in Harrisonburg, Virginia. In celebration of the Centennial of the National Parks Service and our upcoming visiting exhibition “Inspired by the National Parks” curated by Donna DeSoto, we have launched a call to find 5-8 regional artists who have created works inspired by our own National Park, Shenandoah National Park (SNP).
We are seeking art work of various mediums to display during a special Gallery Opening community event on Saturday, July 30th, 2016. The day will be the culmination of a month-long series of weekly “Arts and the Parks” programs hosted by the Virginia Quilt Museum and the Arts Council of the Valley, (full event calendar to be released soon).
The day will feature an official gallery opening for the traveling quilt exhibition “Inspired by the National Parks: Flora, Fauna and Landscape” with gallery tours led by exhibit curator, Donna DeSoto. The event will also include a visiting ranger lecture on the flora and fauna of Shenandoah National Park, a Shenandoah National Park display featuring SNP history and memorabilia, children’s activities, and more. All exhibitions will be housed in the Virginia Quilt Museum’s galleries with a possibility of 1-2 outdoor installations.
- Works must be inspired by the flora, fauna or landscape of Shenandoah National Park
- Artists must be present and with their art work on July 30th for the duration of the day’s events (10am – 4pm)
- As this is a museum exhibit and not a gallery show, artists will not be permitted to sell their art working during the event or actively discuss sales. However, items may be visibly priced and business cards may be disseminated to interested buyers.
- Works must be displayed on tables, in cases, or other sturdy floor display installations. No wall space will be available as it is all needed for our quilt exhibits. The Museum has a variety of casings and tables available depending on the dimensions of the art work. Artists may be required to bring their own should the Museum’s items not be suitable.
- Before finalizing the artist lineup, artists will be required to review and sign a contract of temporary exhibition.
To offer your work(s) for consideration, please submit the following information to VQM Director Kim McCray via email to email@example.com or via mail to:
VQM, 301 S. Main St., Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Deadline: Wednesday, June 15
- Your Name and Contact Information;
- Artist Biography;
- Artist Statement to Include: format, number of pieces available, approximate dimensions, and explanation of how piece(s) is/are inspired by the Shenandoah National Park;
- Photographs of Works: 3-5 images with a preferred combination of a close-up shots showing detail and texture and distance shots showing full piece and scale;
The event will feature 5-8 non-quilt artists for which a non-juried selection process will be required. Decisions will be made in an effort to seek a variety of formats and interpretations of the SNP as well as on our ability to safely display the artwork in our galleries near our quilts. Regional artists are preferred. Audio-visual submissions cannot be considered for the July 30th event, but there are opportunities for A/V creations to be displayed at other “Arts and the Parks” events. Please contact for details.
Questions? Please email Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.